Friday, September 28, 2012

What about a Website?



What about a Website?
Eventually, you may desire the flexibility of a website, which will allow you to create your own design and format. There are sites that will give you a free site, but most of these sites do not give you a domain and you do not have a host accout. This type of site will give you a presence on the net, however you really do not have the control that you would have if you had your own website, domain name, and host account.
The obvious question is will it be a complement to your blog? Will it become your main vehicle to promote your blogs, and product? Where do you start? How do you get there from here? If you are going to use the same name as your blog account, you will need to see if the domain name is available. You can do this by going to Godaddy, Blue Host, or any other hosting site, and do a search. If it is available, you will want to choose where you want to register your site. The prices are very compatible, ranging from three dollars and up. Next, will it be a dot com, dot net, dot us,  dot org, dot biz, really just pick dot com, unless it is taken, otherwise go with dot net. If your site becomes profitable, you will want to register them all.
What about web design? Here is a non technical idea, take out a piece of paper and pencil and draw what you want your site to look like. I know, that is so archaic, you might as well pull out some papyrus and an ink jar. I am serious, you should design your website on a plain sheet of paper exactly how you want it to look. Decide how many tabs, how many levels, what space will be provided for advertisements and the like. You will get a boat load of advice on the do’s and don’ts, I just say try not to clutter the home page.
I hear the wheels turning, your thinking I do not even know how to write code, you are probably saying to yourself. What do I know about HTML? Here is the good news about that, most host sites, provide programs called WYSIWYG ( what you see is what you get). I plan to lead you through a step by step process and show you how to get started. If you already know how to get a domain name, and build and design a website, than you will be ahead of the game. If you plan to hire someone to do this for you, I will tell you that is a waste of money. Save your money, there is way too much free support on the web.
Your first step is to pick a host provider, and then register your domain name. My first website that I ever created. I hosted on my own home network. The problem with that was if my computer went down, or my network was down, no one could acces my website. It was a free option, besides back then it cost a fortune to host it professionally. Today it is so inexpensive, and there are so many host providers, you can practically pick your own price. 
Here is some shameless promotion, come on you know why. Goto my website http://www.tecavd.com and select the Go Daddy banner. Pretty Please with whipped cream and cherries on top. Do you blame a guy for trying.
Until next time arrivederci.
Here is what I am doing. Every month I will be holding a drawing for $100.00. Starting with September I will sweeten the kiddy with $200.00. Goto http://www.1in100uwin.com for how I will conduct this drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment